Franklin, founded in 1796 by General William C. Schenck
and named for Benjamin Franklin, occupies 8.1 square miles in the northwest corner
of Warren County
in southwestern Ohio. Franklin, home to approximately 12,000 residents, is one of
the cities and towns in the vigorously growing in the
Franklin hugs the Great Miami River, which contributed to its history as a paper
manufacturing center. Today, the City's industrial base is becoming increasingly
diversified; thanks to its strategic position along Interstate 75, its easy access
to other major transportation arteries, and the diligence of the City Council, Mayor,
and the Chamber of Commerce.
Franklin was incorporated in 1814 and assumed city status
in 1951. The city operates under a council-manager form of government, with seven
members elected on a non-partisan basis to four-year terms. The council
elects one of its members as Mayor.
Franklin is proud of the full array of services it offers residents. A full-time
workforce provides police, public works, street maintenance, building inspection,
fire, and parks. Franklin is part of JEMS, an emergency medical district. After many years
of planning and upgrading equipment, the city sought a new Public Protection Classification
from Insurance Services Office(ISO) Inc., in 2003. This on-site review resulted
in an improved classification resulting in a fire rating of Class 4, placing the
City of Franklin fire protection abilities in the top 10% nationwide.
City Council meets at 6:00 P.M. every first and third Monday of each
month (excluding holidays) in the Council Chamber in the City Building located at
1 Benjamin Franklin Way, Ohio 45005.