So you're thinking about starting a business or - even better - actually STARTING a business? Here are some ideas to get you started. The certainly is no one way to become successful, after-all innovation is what makes America so great. But sometimes you just need something to get you started. That's what this page is all about; ideas and resources.
While we welcome the expansion and relocation of existing businesses, we are also very excited about the prospect of new business development from within. That's what this page is about. If you are already established please switch to the resources we have provided to Grow your Business or Relocate a Business here.
Additional help can be found at the Small Business Administration's (SBA) website and through the Ohio Business Gateway guide to Starting a Business.
Do you have an idea for a business? Need an idea for a business? Try some of these resources:
- Interested in technology? Take a look at Technology Transfer
- Consider purchasing a franchise.
- Want to team up with an inventor or other founder? Check out partnership meet-ups such as CoFoundersLab.
Have you registered your business name? What's in a name?Steps and considerations in choosing your business name
- Verify you're not violating another trademark by searching the US Trademark Database
- Register your trade name in Ohio.
- Optional: Research and file a trademark for your business in Ohio and / or at the national level
Have you chosen a legal structure?Considerations for choosing your legal structure (Note: consult with an attorney or accountant for professional insight on the best legal structure for your business based on your plans and goals). Additional articles for choosing your legal structure:
- Choose Your Business Structure (Entrepreneur Magazine article)
- Should your business be an LLC or an S-Corp? and How to Incorporate (Inc Magazine articles)
- File your Articles of Incorporation with the State of Ohio
- Learn about and obtain your Federal Employer Identification Number
- Register with the State of Ohio for income and personal property taxes
Will it just be you working in the business?
- The SBA website provides a thorough checklist for getting set up to hire your first employee and setting up your payroll system.
- Investigate and obtain Workman's Compensation insurance.
- Make sure when you register with the State of Ohio you sign up for income tax withholding.
- Verify you have any required licenses and permits (Note: Businesses - INCLUDING HOME BASED BUSINESSES - may also be subject to zoning restrictions. Check with the Planning and Zoning Department to validate if this applies to your business).
- Make sure you have a good PLAN.
- Explore options for locating your business in the City of Franklin.
- Check out programs and services offered and funding options available to help you start and grow your business.
- Be successful and let us feature you as a success story!