Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Q: How do I start water, sewer and trash service?
To have service begun in your name, you must apply in person at the Utility Billing Division and you must bring a photo ID with you.

  • If you are property owner, you must provide a copy of the deed or settlement statement.
  • If you are purchasing the property on land contract, you must provide a copy of the contract plus a $200 deposit.
  • If you are a tenant, you must provide a copy of your lease and a $200 deposit.

If you have any unpaid or outstanding utility bills, they must be paid in full before you can start a new service.

Q: How do I transfer service?
Whether you are transferring service out of your name, into your name, or to a different address, you must apply in person at the Utility Billing Division. Please call Utility Billing at (937) 746-9921, option 2, if you have any questions regarding the transfer of service.

Q: How do I get my service restored if I’ve been shut off for nonpayment?
If your service has been turned off because of nonpayment, the entire past due balance must be paid along with the shut-off fee before service can be restored. Payment must be made by cash, credit card or money order only - we cannot accept checks when paying to have your service restored. 

Shut-Off Fees:

  • First Time $20.00
  • Second Time $30.00
  • Third Time $40.00
  • + Fourth Time $50.00

In order to have service restored the same day, payment must be received no later than 4:30 p.m. If you make your payment after 4:30 p.m., service may not be restored until the next business day. An adult must be present at the property at the time service is restored.

Q: What do I do if I think I may have a water leak?
 If you believe you may have a water leak and your meter is inside your home, monitor the meter. Turn off all sources of running water (e.g., dishwasher, washer, etc.) and see if the needle or the numbers on the meter are moving. If all sources of running water are shut off, your meter should not move at all. If there is movement, you can contact the Utility Billing Division to have your water service shut off until a plumber can come make the necessary repairs.

If your meter is located in a meter pit outside of your home, contact the Utility Billing Division and we can assist you with monitoring the meter.

Q: What do I do if I want to Fill my Swimming Pool?
Before filling your swimming pool, stop by the Utility Billing Division and pick up a water-only pool meter. You can hook this meter up to your outside faucet and fill your pool through a garden hose. The meter will monitor the amount of water you use and you will be charged for water only - no sewer charges will then be billed.

Q: What do I do if I want to Drain my Swimming Pool?
Under the Ohio EPA’s regulations, dechlorinated swimming pool water should be discharged into the City’s stormwater sewer system. It is illegal to drain chlorinated water into the City’s stormwater system or into any open ditch or watercourse. You can dechlorinate your pool water by resting the water (without adding any chemicals) for 48 hours or more before discharging it into a storm sewer. Pools cannot be drained, directly or indirectly, into any street or onto neighboring property. Please call the Public Works Department at (937) 746-5001 if you have questions.

Q: How is my Monthly Utility Bill Calculated?
The City bills its customers on a monthly basis for water service, sewer service, trash pick-up, and stormwater utility. The water and sewer services are billed in arrears and the trash pick-up and stormwater utility are billed currently and will be retroactive back to your move-in date.

The water meters are read monthly, you will receive a bill based on an actual use.

If you are a new resident with no usage history, the first two months of the quarter will be billed based on the minimum usage of 0-1000 cubic feet. If there is more than one individual in your household, we recommend that you overpay these estimated bills, as the average usage per person is approximately 1000 cubic feet per quarter. For example, if there four people in your household, your third actual reading bill could be quite costly depending upon how much water your family uses. If you wish to overpay your bill, please contact the Utility Billing Division at (937) 746-9921 and we will assist you in calculating the payment based on the average consumption of the number of persons in your household.

Please remember that if you water your lawn, it may result in a higher than usual water bill, particularly on the third month’s actual reading bill. If you would like to purchase a separate water tap for a lawn sprinkler system, please contact the Water & Sewer Superintendent, Steve Inman, at the Public Works Department at (937) 746-5001.

Q: What are the City’s Regulations regarding Monthly Payment of Utility Bills?
 The City’s regulations regarding payment of monthly water bills are contained in Chapter 911 of the Codified Ordinances. The City’s regulations regarding payment of monthly sewer bills are contained in Chapter 919 of the Codified Ordinances.

Q: Why do I have to pay a Stormwater Utility Fee?
 The City is required under Federal and State law to provide a Stormwater system, which is regulated by the Ohio EPA. Please click here for information on the City’s Stormwater Utility and regulations.

Q: Do I have to use the City’s Refuse Collection Service?
Yes, all residential properties within the City are required to use the City’s refuse collection service, and each property billed for the service is liable for the charges, whether or not they are actually used. The City does provide assistance to individuals 65 and older who have a yearly household income of less than $8988 for a single household or less than $12,120 for a two person household. 

Q: When is My Trash Collection Day?
Please click here [link to Trash.Collection.Schedule.pdf in Document Vault]to view the City’s refuse collection schedule, by street. Trash and recycling may be placed curbside the night before your scheduled collection, but should be placed curbside no later than 6:00 a.m. on your scheduled collection day. Drivers may not return to residences if trash and recycling is not placed out before the scheduled collection time. 

Q: What if I Miss my Scheduled Collection Time?
If you miss your scheduled collection date, please remove any trash or recycling from the curb. If items are left at the curb 24-hours after your scheduled pick-up day, the City may have the items removed and the additional charges will be added to your utility bill.

Q: How Much Refuse Can I put out for Collection at a Time?
Rumpke’s service includes collection of six 32-gallon cans or bags per pick-up. Cans and bags should not exceed 50 pounds. If you more trash than this to dispose of, please call Rumpke at 1-800-582-3107 at least 24-hours before your regularly scheduled pick-up or to schedule pick-up at a different time. Excess trash may be subject to an additional charge of $25 per hopper, which the customer is responsible for paying directly to Rumpke.

Q: Are There Items I Can’t Put in My Garbage Can?
According to federal law, Rumpke cannot accept car batteries, tires, combustible materials, hazardous liquids or other hazardous materials. Bulky materials including drywall, concrete, bricks, dirt or rocks are not accepted curbside. Television sets cannot exceed 32-inches for curbside pick-up.

Please do not place trash at the curb in boxes. All boxes should be broken down and bundled.

Q: How Do I Dispose of Large Items?
Please contact Rumpke at 1-800-582-3107 at least 24-hours prior to your scheduled pick-up day to request a large item pick-up at no additional charge.

Any mattress or upholstered furniture that may be contaminated with bedbugs must be encased in disposable plastic for removal. 

Appliances containing Freon must have the Freon removed prior to collection and removal certification paperwork is required.

Q: What are Acceptable Trash Containers?
Drums, barrels, small yard and household wastebaskets are not acceptable trash containers. If you use one of these items, it may be assumed to be trash itself and disposed of. 

You may purchase your own trash can, or you can rent a 90-gallon wheeled hopper from Rumpke for $1.50 per month. The monthly rental fee will be added to your utility bill, and you can rent as many hoppers as you need. Please contact the Utility Billing Division if you are interested in renting a hopper.

Q: Does the City have a Recycling Program?
 Yes, the City has a curbside recycling program provided through Rumpke. You can get a 45-gallon recycling container for no charge at the City’s Utility Billing Division. Simply place your recyclables in the container and set out with your trash on your collection day.

Q: What Can I Recycle?
 Did you know that more than 60% of your trash can be recycled? The average American generated nearly 1 ton of trash a year, but all that waste doesn’t have to go to the landfill. Please make use of the City’s convenient curbside recycling program, for which you can get a free 45-gallon recycling container at the City’s Utility Billing Division. You can recycle plastic bottles and jugs (with lids removed), glass bottles and jars of any color, aluminum cans, steel cans and lids, aerosol cans (with lids and tips removed) paperboard (like cereal boxes), cardboard, office paper of any color and envelopes, newspapers, magazines and inserts, telephone books, brown grocery bags and catalogs. Please make sure all containers are empty and rinse out any jugs or cans. Please do not recycle pizza boxes with food on them or Styrofoam containers.

Q: What if I have Yard Waste to Dispose Of?
Yard waste, properly bagged or bundled, can be placed curbside for collection. If you have a large pile of brush, you may dump it at the Public Works Building, 202 Baxter Drive. Call (937) 746-5001 for more information.